Chick Update, a Sunset, and Creepy Crawly Things

I'm a little pressed for time this week, so here's some of last week based on the pictures in my phone. 

1.) We moved the chicks

 
They outgrew the brooder very quickly, so Chris sealed up the coop and we transferred them there. They're much happier and more lively now. 



And Bitty Baby approves too. 

2.) Roach saga 

Apparently the roaches around here can chew through those individual applesauce squeeze packet thingies. 

We couldn't figure out why there was a sudden increase in the roach population in the kitchen. There's always one or two running around, our best efforts not withstanding, but in the past few nights there'd been a steady increase. 

Then, one fateful night, Chris noticed one going into the applesauce box at the top of the pantry. He called me over, poked the box enough to shift it slightly, and said "listen". 

There was unmistakable rustling. 

He opened the back door to the porch, and I perched on a chair, grabbed the box, and threw it outside. 

There was an immediate explosion of bugs, the inside of the box was crusted with roach droppings, and all but two of the packets had holes chewed in them. One or two were almost completely empty. 

So I feel justified storing as much as I do in glass jars and thick plastic pickle buckets. South Texas roaches really don't mess around. They do as much or more damage than mice do. 

3.) Sunset 



We've been spending more time outside in the evenings lately, and the sky has been spectacular. 

4.) Re-purposed planter


I found a use for one of the old tires the previous owner of our property left abandoned out here. I filled it up with dirt, taking my time to ensure that it filled up the sides, stuck a mint plant in it, and then added some mulch. It's in a shady area that's perfect for mint, but has soil that's hard as a rock. 

It looks slightly tacky (I've told people I'm going for "redneck chic"), but I think it'll do the job well. 



And that's what's fit to print. Stay tuned to hear how Holy Week goes; we're going to brave Easter vigil mass this year. ((Gulp)). 

Comments

  1. I wouldn't be surprised if the roaches came with the box. It's too bad you lost all those pouches, but at least your husband discovered before you reached your hand in to grab one out. (Ugh...)
    My 9 yr old wants to go to the Vigil Mass as one of his friend's family is joining the Church that night. My teenage daughter has offered to take him - I don't think I've ever taken a kid to a Vigil Mass. The only one I went to was maybe 15 yrs ago? I was standing in for the sponsor of my friend who was a confirmandi. And it made me realize that early morning Mass suits me better. Hopefully, your kids will be entranced with the candles and songs.
    I hope your Holy week is as prayerful as you want it to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope not, it was a brand new box from the store! We've had a roach problem for awhile...just part of living in a hot, humid area with no harsh winter weather. There's a reason I keep most pantry items in glass jars or plastic containers with snap lids if I can.

      We will find out as far as the mass. I feel a little crazy trying it, but we're going in with the understanding that we'll leave and go Sunday morning if need be.


      Delete
  2. I lived in an apartment once that was empty before I moved in, and had a terrible roach infestation. WAY worse than the mice (and rats, ugh) we have here sometimes.

    I think I told you my only experience at an Easter Vigil Mass, with four kids under 8 years old. This year, our priest is doing a full-on Latin High Mass for Easter Vigil and asked my older two sons to serve. They agreed, so they'll be there. And my husband will probably go. But I am not bringing my younger two to a 3.5 hour Latin Mass. I'm just not trad enough for that. Instead, the whole family will be going to our usual service on Sunday at our usual church, and the ones who have already fulfilled their obligation at the Vigil will just have to go again, because I am not splitting my family on Easter of all days. (Can you tell I have some Feelings about this decision by my priest? I do. I am trying to be understanding about his decision to introduce so many extra Latin Masses, but I don't like the way it draws our very small congregations away from their village churches to follow a Latin Mass around.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we go to vigil, we're fully planning on sitting in the cry room, bringing the double stroller that has two sides that both go down into quasi-beds with a couple baby blankets, and leaving early if necessary. I'm not sure we'll be able to pull it off, but we're willing to make minor fools of ourselves and try, lol. We'll quit and go to morning mass if need be.

      I have ambivalent feelings about Latin masses. I had a friend who tried very very hard to get me to join her for Latin masses at her parish, and I always dug my heel in and said no. I think it's a beautiful liturgy and ought to keep existing, but I don't like the culture that often surrounds it. I've seen too much interpersonal ugliness and "rosary envy" (MY family is more devout than YOUR family) attached to it. I left behind any chances I had with that group the second I sent my kid to public school. I don't veil in mass for many of the same reasons.

      Delete
    2. This is a hot take, but I honestly wish that the Novus Ordo in Latin were more of a thing. I know that wouldn't come even close to satisfying the hardcore trad contingent, but I think it'd ease at least some of the tension around that issue that currently exists.

      Anyway. I have some Feelings of my own on the TLM and how it interacts with communities, lol.

      Delete

Post a Comment