Bugs, Sewing, and Getting Older

 1.) Brace yourselves. Mosquitos are coming.



It has rained and rained and RAINED the past couple weeks. 

While this is good for the garden, it's bad for everything else. And it's the starting gun for a plague. 

All those little dots are mosquito larvae going after a piece of cat food that fell in a rain barrel. I poured orange oil in immediately after the photo was taken (and we're working on getting a top for it). 

We're playing with the idea of putting something in the puddles to cut down on the problem, but there's so much water EVERYWHERE that I don't know how much good it'll do. I guess we'll see. 

2.) Geriatrics 

I turned 30. 

I know that's not "old", but it's definitely not my twenties anymore. Feels a little odd. 

And I know most of my readers are older than that and are rolling their eyes at me right now. 😂 That's ok. I can take it. 


3.) A Conundrum


My dill patch is infested with Swallowtail butterfly caterpillars. 

On one hand, they're eating my dill, and I've just barely started pickle season. 

On the other hand... butterflies. 

They don't seem to be decimating the patch too badly, so I'll probably leave them for now. 

3.) Pickles!! 

Pickles so far. Stored in our clothes closet, because it's the coolest place in the house. 



First batch of dill pickles for the year. I only have four cucumber plants, but they're producing well. I'm trying a new recipe that uses sugar (?!) and white vinegar rather than cider vinegar. 

The next batch will probably be bread and butter pickles. They're basically canned in vinegar syrup, so they're not the healthiest thing in the world, but the kids absolutely love them. 
 
4.) 70s Stylin' 




I think this is my favorite thing I've made so far. 

Simple enough to be sewn in a day, but a fantastic statement piece. I'm not sure when my kid will actually wear it (can I send him to school in it with a straight face?), but boy was it fun to sew. 

Maybe the school will do decade day again for homecoming next year. 

5.) Cool Kid Stuff 


The kids made this with their magnatiles, and I thought it was cool. 



And that's what's fit to print. 

Comments

  1. I love the 70’s sewing.

    The magnatile high chair is impressive!

    I’m 44 now, but I definitely felt older at 30 than I do now. I understand what you mean. 30 is the first “old” milestone. The good news is that life just keeps getting better as you get older.

    Higher up and further in!

    -Taryn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday! I like the high chair. We also frequently have monumental magnatile creations, but ours are more along the lines of elaborate forts or battleships. P.S. I ruthlessly exterminate swallowtail caterpillars. If I didn't, I'd have no dill at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've lost all my dill to them before, but it was when I had it in a bucket planter. My organic gardening book, which is usually helpful, just says, "plant enough to share!"

      ...thanks, ya hippie...very helpful...

      Delete
  3. Many happy returns of the day! I will not roll my eyes at you- I promise! Just enjoy yourself, enjoy your kids, and wear sunscreen.
    Love the magnetile structure- I'm trying to figure out the support structure within!
    That shirt might be 70s but also looks like it would fit a Fiesta or Cinco de mayo celebration. Very festive. I hope your child loves it.
    I would think a cover would be necessary for a rain barrel- to keep out debris, prevent evaporation, let alone deter the bugs from breeding. My neighbors have two huge ones attached to their gutters for to water their gardens.
    Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, I read your Substack on Jesus Christ Superstar versus the Life of Brian. I couldn't remember much about JCS since I don't think I've watched it since the 80's. (We listened to the record often, along with Joseph and the Amazing Techinicolor Dreamcoat. My older siblings were into musical theater so whatever they were in, we got the album and learned the music.) I went to the library and checked it out - and wow, are you right! Much more about Judas, and Jesus/Mary story line was very different that I thought. I think I'll stick with Godspell for my Easter musical. The 70's version might be a little trippy, but it's more true to the Bible. (And if it's not ,please don't crush my illusions.) And the clothes are hippie in a fun way, as opposed to the JCS rather decadent outfits.

      Delete
    2. I had to tell Little Boy no when he asked to wear it to church today, so I think it was a hit. :)

      I just went through my husband's CD collection and found a copy of Godspell. I'm not nearly as familiar with it, but I know the music is good. I'm fully planning on listening to it while cleaning the house at some point.

      Problematic as JCS is, I still get the songs stuck in my head regularly.

      Delete
  4. Happy belated birthday!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment