Gardens, Old DVDs, and a Revival Opinion


1.) Garden Update 







Turnips and spinach!   

I got the beans, squash, corn, and cucumbers planted, but they haven't come up yet. I also have yet to get my hands on any reasonably large amount of mulch. I've been reduced to wandering around our property and chopping all the dead grass I can find with a hoe, then putting that on there. Something deep within me objects very strongly to buying mulch (I'd much rather scavenge it somehow), but it's getting to the point where I might have to do that. 



2.) Did y'all see this? 


I'm Catholic, and a Catholic who's never cared much for Praise and Worship music at that. But I'd be lying if I didn't admit this thing has captured my imagination. 

Media coverage has mentioned it's very ecumenical in that different Protestant denominations are showing up, but I can't imagine my local Catholic parish loading up a bus to attend this thing. We've come a very long way in seeing each other as Christians, but there's still some very big cultural divides. 

I keep trying to imagine what the Catholic equivalent would be. The best that I can come up with is a Holy Hour or 40 hours devotion (some of which involve praise and worship music) that just keeps going and going. People keep coming, priests start setting up confessionals outside, mass is said a few times...

It would have to include the Sacraments. I think that's the biggest difference.

I won't say it'll never happen, but I struggle to imagine it happening purely organically like this seems to have happened. 


3.) Doctor Woes

Apparently in my area, if you wait more than three years to go to your doctor, they can drop you as a patient and require you to go through the process as a "new" patient. 

"And," the receptionist continued, "we're currently down a provider, so we're not accepting any new patients." 

Well, crap. 

I haven't been to the doctor since 2018 (even my last baby was delivered by a midwife without a nursing degree). Turns out that between finding childcare, being reduced to Medicaid/Obamacare insurance (my doctor didn't accept it, and the only doctors who DO accept it tend to be Medicaid clinics with six hour wait times) and surviving a pandemic where they tell you NOT to go to the doctor unless your leg is falling off, it's hard to get out the door to go. 

Our financial situation has improved so we have actual insurance now, I managed to pull together childcare, and then found out I don't have a doctor.

 So I cancelled the childcare and I'll be looking for one next week. We'll see how it goes. 

4.) Gay marriage and Santa Claus 

Little Girl was watching TV awhile back and I happened to be walking through the room. It was a new episode of her favorite show, PBS's Pinkalicious. 

Two cartoon men stood on the screen with a frizzy haired little girl. "This is our daughter," said one of the men, "and this is my husband, Frank." He put his arm affectionately around the other male character. 

((Deep sigh from me)) 

Five years old is way too young to be talking about this stuff. I know we'll need to have that discussion sooner or later, but before she's even in elementary school is too early. 

The concept had been introduced at that point (and Little Girl proclaimed, "there were two men who were MARRIED on that TV show" at supper), so we ended up telling the kids that gay marriage is like Santa Claus. It's something that isn't really real, but a lot of people like to believe is. And just like with Santa, it's rude to go around proclaiming it isn't real to total strangers (which they've done with Santa Claus, until we told them not to do it).

No idea how long that explanation will hold, but I think it'll do for now. Lets them know what they need to know while keeping a target off their backs. 

5.) Library DVDs

Related to the above, we've been watching a lot more library DVDs lately. 

We've been watching a lot of Sofia the First. I wrote a brief review of it here a couple years ago. I was a little harsh on it then, but on further subjection to it, I'm finding it's really not bad for what it is (and Nick Offerman (Ron Swanson) voices a character at one point, so that's fun). 

I'm also finding several DVDs that were very obviously manufactured when I was a kid. One of them even worked like a VHS. There was no menu when you put it in and the skip button doesn't work. You have to wait through all the commercials at the start and use the fast forward and rewind functions just like we did when we were kids. 

Several others proudly advertise shows, "Coming February 2005!"

I'm honestly surprised they're still running and aren't scratched into oblivion. That's how all our childhood DVDs ended. 

6.) Little Chickens 

We've ordered a batch of chicks to replace the flock we had to cull. We're still a little ways off from having their pen rebuilt, but we have a brooder and a coop. We decided to go for it and hope that we're able to get the pen together before they're at the point that they need it. 

I went and got feed and bedding; now it's just waiting until I get the call from the feed store to go and get them. 



And that's the news that's fit to print. 




Comments

  1. I had to have a conversation with my very precocious ten-year-old who loves to read very old books--like, Dickens--and has picked up some very old-fashioned meanings for words that have a different meaning now. Like gay. And the "p" word that used to mean a cat. And then I had to tell him that the rainbow had been co-opted. He was very unhappy with this knowledge (I did not enjoy this conversation either), but I couldn't let him keep using the words not knowing how he would sound to other people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been listening to the Little House books in the van and have run into that too.

      It's awful. I hate the culture wars.

      Delete
  2. Arthur was ruined for my kids when they did a surprise gay marriage episode. They were like, "How can he be marrying him?" And I didn't handle it perfectly - I just said that's not what marriage is and turned off the channel. We eventually gave up Arthur. And I've been watching it with my kids since it started, and it has some amazing episodes. Just depressing.
    It's great that you have green garden growing! Everything is still dead around here, but at least a few sunny days help. Our city has free mulch from oversized brush that they collect and chip. One just has to go collect
    I have to find a doctor too - I only saw my ob/gyn for years, and went to urgent care if needed. However, with Covid (at least I blame covid lockdowns!)I developed high blood pressure and needed meds. The person I saw switched to a different field after a few months, and then the one they replaced her with left a little later. So I'm adrift again. I had bad luck with medical things last year, so I'm leery of trusting anyone right now. I hope you can find someone soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched Arthur into high school. I was disappointed when that episode aired too, but I also had to laugh that they made the artsy puppet theatre guy, Mr. Ratburn, gay. It seemed a little stereotypical. (I was also disappointed by the final episode, it seemed kinda phoned in).

      Our city has that too, but we don't have a good way to go get it. Our trailer is a flatbed, and the dump is a good 45 min drive away. There's a guy who clears brush in the county sometimes who might be able to deliver some to us; that's the next lead I'll follow up on.

      Delete
  3. I agree that we are having to have these conversations way too young. Nuance is so difficult to get across to small children. Or even to adults. When I was growing up, we learned about tolerance, as in, “I disagree with what you are doing but I can still value you as a person.” There has been a shift, it seems, where people have found their identities in what they do so completely that anything less than enthusiastic endorsement feels like rabid hatred of their very being.

    We want our kids to understand what sin is and we also want them to know that God loves all of us sinners. The Church (and here I mean the Big C Church, all of us Catholics and Protestants alike) have not handled this well, treating same sex attraction and gender dysphoria as the “sin-iest” of sins while skating over many of the other sins our culture celebrates.

    The public schools here start talking about this in preK. They do the whole Gender Unicorn thing of course, but it’s not just one talk you can opt your kids out of- it is incorporated into the curriculum in very surprising places. For example, the Rainbow Family Flashcards. My first thought with these was, “why would you use Flashcards to teach colors anyhow? It makes no sense!” A lot of it is like that, kind of shoehorned in to the typical early childhood curriculum. It is clearly indoctrination. It actually reminds me of some religious homeschool curriculum I’ve seen- “Today we are learning about multiplication! Let’s first talk about how Jesus MULTIPLIED the loaves and fishes!”

    -Taryn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree totally. There are people I love who are gay, even people in my family (luckily they're not the rabid angry type, they're more the "just let me live my life" type). But there are also people we know and love who are living in sin in other ways, and we're not explaining their lifestyle to our kids yet either. It's just not time for that.

      It's so funny you mention that. I've noticed a couple of secular, not-even-slightly religious film reviewers describe the "woke" media that's been coming out lately as "like Pure-Flix". Just absolute shoe-horned ideology and "message" at the expense of story.

      It's like an enthusiastic super Christian dark mirror verse. Education, media, attitudes about "non believers"...it's like they're using the same playbook.

      Delete

Post a Comment