My Very Expensive Week


Under this there mud patch, there be buried treasure...


For the past couple weeks, there's been a puddle over the septic tank. 

We thought it was due to the rain we've had but as the rest of the yard dried out, that puddle stubbornly remained. It actually got a little bigger every time we ran the washing machine or took a shower. 

At least we bowed to reality and called the repairman. And thus the saga began. 

Monday - the repair man shows up several hours late. He takes one look and refuses to do anything, "this is standing water, which means you need a pump out. I can't do anything." We'd specified standing water when we called in, but whatever. Fine. We'd do the pump out. 

Tuesday - The pump out people get there several hours late. They are a different set of people with a different truck, though they work for the same company. Pump out goes fine. We pay them $650. The man says, "you definitely need a new pump. I told the repair guy to get here today, but he's a couple hours away, so it's not likely." The repairman does not come. I am unsurprised. 

Wednesday - Shockingly, the repairman shows up in the morning at a reasonable hour and replaces the pump. I shell out $580 for the new pump. I find myself actually able to run an errand into town! While loading the kids, I notice a tire is low. "No big deal" I think. "The weather has been cooler, it probably just needs an air up. I'll take it by the tire shop and have them do it on my way into town". 

Turns out I picked up a nail and all four tires are worn out and need to be replaced. Another $580 leaves the bank account. Errands do not get run. 


When it rains, it pours around here. 


On the upside, it's finally gotten cool enough (under 90 degrees) to turn off the AC and have the doors and windows open. 



And I've got some very pretty squash plants in the garden. 



And we made this freaky looking angel thing for Michaelmas. 


So not a horrible week, but the first half was pretty expensive and stressful. I'll let you know how the weekend goes. 


Comments

  1. BOO to that week. I really dislike septics. But then, I also dislike living in towns big enough to have municipal sewage. And even more dislike outhouses. So I guess I'll have to deal with the septic systems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did the math, and (divided out since the last time we had to replace stuff) we're still paying less per month than a municipal bill in the nearest city would be.

      Still hurts. I'd be lying if I said I've never considered an outhouse. If we didn't have small kids, I'd be more inclined towards one.

      Delete
  2. Oh what a rotten start to the week! Every time you turned around another expense. (I've not had septic - I'm happy to live in town with sewers- though most of the farms and country home around here do.)
    I had a fraught week- not financial but emotional- so I understand the frustration of repeated issues. Sometimes it's feels like you can't get a break.
    At least the weather is being nice- it's so nice when autumn arrives! I hope you have a great glorious weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Our much awaited parish festival is this weekend, so I'm hoping it'll be fun. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment