Swimming, Okra, and Angry Comments

 1.) Swimming Lessons


I signed my older two kids up for two weeks of swim lessons put on by a local high school in their natatorium. 

Nothing like suddenly realizing that you might, in fact, be a helicopter parent. 

One kid is taking to swim lessons like a fish to water, but the other one is struggling a bit. Caught myself trying to shout directions at them, then going over and giving them suggestions when the teacher (a very nice high school senior girl)  was busy with another kid. 

And then I noticed that none of the other parents are doing that and realized I probably just need to back off. 

Oops. 

Other than my emerging helicopter-like tendencies, it's going pretty well. Even the struggling kid is pushing themselves. 

It's a little surreal being in this particular nat. My father swam here when he was in high school, as did a much loved uncle who died suddenly right after his senior year of high school. It's a bit like being in the room with a ghost. 


2.) My First Nasty Comment! 


Of all the things I've written, I did not expect a piece on children's media that I wrote nearly a year ago to get my first hate filled diatribe. (Though, weirdly, that's been my most controversial piece). 

 Yet here we are. 

For the record, I welcome discussion and disagreement here -- provided you give me an argument answering or questioning my points. I don't welcome personal attacks. Not because I'm delicate or get hurt feelings easily, but simply because these attacks do nothing to increase understanding or build knowledge. They attack and aim to harm and destroy, that's it. 

So if you think I'm wrong -- that's fine! You may even be right. Tell me why though. Don't just tell me I'm an anti-Catholic with an inferiority complex, that doesn't enlighten me or anyone else. 


3.) Okra!! 

The cucumbers are wrapping up (having a fence land on them probably hastened their demise), but the okra is starting to produce! 



Okra is something you have to keep on top of with harvesting, or you end up with a bunch of tough, inedible pods and a plant that stops producing. I'm going to attempt to pickle it this year; I think I planted enough that I'll have enough fresh and ready at one time to can, but we'll see. 

It makes really pretty flowers too. 




4.) Mosquitoes

We have made the unfortunate discovery that Bitty Baby has a mosquito allergy. 

They don't just leave a welt, they leave a huge swollen mass that itches with no reprieve and leads her to scratch incessantly through the night and leave scabs. I tried using mosquito repellent, but a few still got through. 

So that's pretty much brought all my yard and garden work to a standstill. I have to bring her outside with me if I want to be out there, but she looks like she got in a bar fight with a bug biker gang for days afterward when I do. 

Maybe I'll try those citronella torches. I wish I had some mosquito netting, maybe I could fashion some sort of play tent. 


5.) Pool 




Still being filled up. 

We bought a cheap pool that's bigger than the hard plastic kiddie pools but smaller than a full sized one. We did the same thing last summer; I guess it's becoming a tradition. 

It's nice to have a way for the kids to play outside when it's broiling hot out there. The city pools evidently have free admission this summer, but that's still gas money, the hassle of getting everyone into the car and driving over, the nerve wracking experience of trying to supervise my excited kids embedded in a throng of other people's excited kids, and then having to deal with a cranky overtired baby and making dinner while cleaning up wet swimsuits when I get home. 

We'll probably go to a "real" pool once or twice this summer, but it's not going to be an everyday thing. 

This can be.

 


That's what's going on here. How's your summer going thus far? 

Comments

  1. Public pools with kids are the worst. It's honestly a relief for me that we don't live anywhere where it's even a possibility to go to one. Although, my younger two do need to learn to swim. Which is one of the reasons we're going to Tucson next week and staying with my parents. They have a pool, and we will do our best to teach the non-swimmers the basics in three days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually learned in my grandparents' pool too. I definitely think family pools are preferable to public ones if for no other reason than having a safe place to put napping babies.

      Delete

Post a Comment