How I'm Handling Pride Month

"Rainbow" by miri695 is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 2.0.

 I was going to do a whole intricate write up about LBGT+ and Catholism in America, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized I don't have anything to say that hasn't already been said by people much more competent than I.

 I try to limit my writing to things I don't see anyone else saying, and as this issue is the current darling of, well, just about everyone, I don't have much to say that hasn't already been said. What I DO have to say is pretty niche and not really applicable to society at large. 

(This person and this person are good resources if you'd like something more substantial, and produced by people with far more experience, on the theological and social implications of LBGT+ ideology.  Check this out if you or someone close to you identifies as LBGT+).

I will say that I've been seeing a LOT of rainbow decor around lately, even in the grocery store in my fairly conservative hometown. I also have people I know, one that I see regularly, that identify themselves as somewhere on the LBGT+ rainbow. This isn't something I can just hide myself from and pretend doesn't exist. At the same time, it's not something that I'm in a position to actively engage with with my writing or time. 

So I'm choosing to respond to pride month by fasting and praying, and by refusing to let it steal my joy or peace. 

Fasting and praying sounds impressive, but it really isn't. I'm fasting by staying off YouTube for a month, and praying by adding the conversion, peace, and wellbeing of those who identify as same sex attracted and/or trans to my prayer intentions. I've learned the hard way that anxiously torturing myself with a ton of prayers and mortifications in the hopes of achieving an intention doesn't really do anyone any good. I'm keeping it something I'm pretty sure I can actually keep up, and if I stumble, I won't have much trouble starting up again. 

Other than that, I'm going to live life as normal. It's finally summertime; my husband is home for awhile, and I'm going to enjoy time with him and with my children. We're going to do swimming lessons, eat watermelon, watch movies, and go visit family. It seems really important to engage with my vocation of marriage and family life this month too. 

I figure that approaching it this way can't do any harm, and it might do some good. It seems as good a way to spend this month as any. 







Comments

  1. This was interesting to read, as it never occurred to me that Pride Month was anything for me to handle at all. Maybe that's because I live so remote that there is no sign of it locally? I really don't think about it at all, and only ever see anything about it online. We are, however, going into The Outside World this week to see family, so it's possible I will be confronted with more of it this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. Up to now I've just rolled my eyes and left it at that, but it feels more intrusive this year for some reason.

      Delete

Post a Comment