Why I'm Deleting My Facebook

 

"Self portrait – We all get sucked in" by MattysFlicks is marked with CC BY 2.0.

I gave up social media for Lent. For six complete weeks, I didn't log in onto Facebook. 

I was more productive (regular readers will notice there has been substantially more content here over the past few weeks) and less anxious. I did miss being able to crowd source things and keep up with a couple groups where legitimate discussion (and memes) happened, but overall my mood and quality of life improved. 

And then, this morning I got back on. Within the span of five minutes, I found an article that brought my anxiety up. I left a snippy comment, then spent a good chunk of my mental energy at breakfast wondering if I needed to go back and edit it. 

I've been thinking about this for awhile, but that cemented it. Social media actively takes away from my ability to be present to my family and saps my energy. It's hindering me in being who I need to be more than it's helping me. 

It needs to go, and quickly, before I lose my nerve. There's all sorts of counter arguments roaring in my head. I'm terrified of feeling lonely. I live in a fairly isolated area, and often I feel like the only adults I see for weeks at a time are related to me. Social media is also genuinely the only place I can find people to discuss theological apologetics (don't judge) or certain geeky stuff with, and I have had genuine, real friendships come out of social media connections. 

But none of those benefits change the fact that it makes me more impatient with my children and husband (I get snippy when I'm anxious), distracts me from the little windows of time that exist for me to do projects, and quite frankly fosters a lot of fear in my life. 

I know that if I wait too long I'll lose my nerve, so I'm posting this, turning off my phone and spending a pleasant day with my family, then deleting my account tonight. I wish I had the self control to only keep the parts of it that are enriching to my life, and those do exist, but I simply don't have that ability (my husband does. I think it's because his day (and possibly his mind) is far more structured than mine. Yes, I'm jealous). 

It seems melodramatic to ask,  but please pray for me. I'm legitimately anxious about this, but I think it's being asked of me. 


Comments

  1. Praying for you! I am considering doing the same. May the graces from these beautiful days of Easter fill you and your family with much joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could if I would and I know I should. Best of luck. Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I deleted my Facebook a few years ago because it made me anxious, depressed, and cranky, and it was a giant time suck. I was worried about losing touch with friends, and I am sure there are some relationships that might be more interactive if I was on Facebook, but the mental health benefits have outweighed the losses. Sending you encouragement and prayers. If you feel lonely, I'll be your friend :-) I'm a wife, mom to one son, and part-time attorney in the suburbs in Michigan. I enjoy your writing, and I wish I had more Catholic friends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All will be well, Jimmy. Social media has heightened a lot of my own anxiety, so I've had to learn to moderate my behavior as such (yes, I know the feeling of constantly reloading the page or getting up in the middle of the night to see if someone's responded). I worked through it to find my own peace; you will, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't find FB to be nearly as problematic as it used to be for some reason, but Insta was soul sucking and I deleted it at the beginning of Lent and am not going back. I know we've chatted about getting together to meet in person, but I really think we should make it happen. Shoot me an email and we can nail down a date? -Shirelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never had Facebook (or the others) because I am a mammoth who got stuck in the La Brea tarpits of blog world and stayed there (or something), but I will pray for you and your peace of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did the same after giving FB up for Lent a few years ago and it was a fantastic decision.

    I started a new account (with NO FRIENDS! and therefore no temptation to post and no mini feed to entice me) solely to keep up with a local homeschool group that does all of its planning on FB.

    Sadly, I find other corners of the internet to waste my time and consume mental energy but cutting FB was a big start.

    Best of luck! And I will say a prayer for you right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone.

    I pulled the trigger on it, so the deed is done.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment