Grumpy Spring Break, Flowers, and Leaves





1.) Bah, Humbug. 

Spring Break has been spring-like with very nice weather, but not very break-ish. 

For a job that doesn't pay much, teachers sure have to work a lot. Especially if they coach. Between an academic tournament and a Trail Life commitment, I've actually seen less of my husband in the past week or so than I do normally. 

More of my son though, which is good. He does the Trail Life stuff with his dad, but I had him home the rest of the week. I don't get as much quality time with him since he started school. 

Teaching is a weird field. We live off of the income (with some creative management), but Chris has told me that his salary is a "secondary income" salary. The assumption is that it's a secondary income to a household, not the primary one, probably because it's a female dominated field. 

The end result is effectively that my husband, a white straight male, has gotten the short end of the gender wage gap stick because of what he does for a living. The irony is further spread by the fact that his superiors, people who earn substantially more than he does, are all women.  

Go figure. 


2.) Leaf Stealing Weirdos

We reached a new level of weird the other day. 

Chris hooked up the trailer, we towed it 45 minutes to the "rich" neighborhood in town, pulled up in front of a big mansion, and then loaded it up with garbage bags full of leaves that they had piled out there for brush pickup. 

I don't know what people driving past thought when they saw a minivan with kids in it towing a trailer being loaded full of leaves by a man and a woman with a baby on her hip. It must have been a good show. 




At any rate, we have lots of mulch for the garden now. What I don't spread I'll probably compost. 


3.) Sick Baby

Alas and alack, Bitty Baby has caught a cold. Lots of laying down and nursing her today, and not much else. Little Girl has got a runny nose and a bit of a cough too. 

Between sickness and the mostly solo week I've just had, our diets over the past few days have been largely made up of the greasy pre-processed packaged frozen stuff that gives you diabetes if you eat too much of it. It makes me feel a foggy after I eat it, but sometimes that's something I'm willing to trade off for being able to just toss  something in the oven in between placating a fussy baby and breaking up a fight. 

I know "healthy" versions of that exist, but they all either taste weird or cost an arm and a leg. And/or they're only located at that one hippie store a 30 minute drive away.  

I don't need to drive that far for a tofu burger. I have other things to do with my life. 


4.) Gardening

We got a watering system into the garden, and things are finally starting to sprout a bit. 




Bell pepper

Zucchini


Sunflowers. Technically weeds, but so pretty that I usually leave them alone. 

Not pictured are some tomato plants and a couple just started melon plants. 

5.) Flowers

There's primroses in the yard! 


Ignore the obvious shadow of me with a smart phone. 


There's bluebonnets by the highway too, but we're always going too fast for me to get a good picture. We've never been the type to go pose in them, though I have been known to take a couple pictures once the sunflowers start blooming. 


6.) Rattlesnakes

If you haven't read this yet, take a look at it. One of the coolest things a member of my family has seen out here. 

Comments

  1. The rattlesnakes must have been mesmerizing. Beautiful, but I'd be running as fast as I could in the other direction!
    I'm sorry that the salary thing is an issue. In order to make the big bucks in education, you need to become an administrator - which often takes a good person away from the classroom. (Or, sometimes puts the idiots in charge.) And the catch is you need to pay big bucks to get the administrator courses and degrees. We have similar salary problem with our Catholic school - we only get women who have a husband with a steady job, young teachers starting out (who move on after a few yrs to the public school for more money), or retirees looking to work in a pleasant environment for a few more years.
    I hope your kids get better soon. I have weeks even now where the kids get grilled cheese 3 times a week and pasta the other nights because of life and business and illness. It takes so much energy to eat well when you're being drained by everything. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not as big an issue as it might be, honestly. We make it work pretty well, and there's no doubt in my mind that education is what he's meant to do. But the salary thing, yeah...it's one of the main reasons we're not in Catholic education right now. I don't know any Catholic school teaching family with young kids that doesn't have multiple incomes coming in to make it work.

      Delete
  2. That does not sound like a fun week. I have had many of those weeks, with sick children and an away husband. The growing plants are fun, though! I think now is the time to focus on the primroses and look forward to less stressful times in the summer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment