What I've Been Watching


"JUPAZIP MAGNETIC SMARTPHONE CABLE" by TheBetterDay is licensed under CC BY-ND 2.0


I watch a lot of YouTube. Turns out that when you have a nursing baby, you spend a lot of time sedentary.

I've seen more clips of Hoarders and clips of new Disney movies than I'd care to admit to doing that, but I've also seen some stuff that's genuinely well done and interesting and taught me a thing or two. Here's a list of some of my favorites. 


I highly recommend seeing the film before you watch the debate. The film is not about the life of Jesus (He's not even really in it), it's more a searingly critical look at human nature when it interacts with politics, revolution, and ideology. And parts of it are downright prophetic
 
I have never seen two more pompous and oblivious people as the people arguing Life of Brian was blasphemy in this debate. And I've never seen so much name dropping of Mother Theresa in my life.

The fact that the whole thing is moderated by one of the lyricists for Jesus Christ Superstar just adds another layer of bizarre. 

Anyway. If you want a great example of how to come off as a pompous snob and evangelize poorly (as well as see an actually pretty entertaining  conversation on one of the funniest movies of all time), here you go. 


A guy who does movie and TV show reviews, both current blockbusters and obscure 20-something year old made for TV movies. He "remembers it, so you don't have to." 

There are a few F-bombs thrown on this channel, so don't watch in kid earshot, but I've learned a lot about story structure and filmmaking from this guy's videos. He does a fantastic job talking about WHY a certain film does or doesn't work, and he's extremely entertaining while he does it. 

Part of a collective of creators called Channel Awesome. I also highly recommend the series they did on The Twilight Zone. 



An extremely simple concept for a channel. The guy takes clips from audiobooks of Lewis's work and illustrates them as the clip plays. 

The guy is a fantastically talented artist, and manages to make complex, beautiful, comic book style artwork that elegantly enhances what you're hearing.


4.) Metatron 

A guy dressed in period accurate Roman armor giving you a history lesson on everything from the Roman secret service to Samurai battle techniques to the history of crucifixion as a execution technique. Lots of fun for history buffs. 




A channel about no-longer operating theme park attractions. He explains what the attraction was, who had the idea for it, its operational history, and why it was ultimately shut down. He also gets very in depth about the corporate world behind the scenes of these theme parks. I have learned more about the interior workings and politics of the Walt Disney company than I ever expected to know, and I was extremely entertained while learning it. 

He recently did an hour long documentary on the history and logistics of the lines and Fast Pass system at the Disney theme parks that was so well done and fascinating I stopped watching it and convinced my husband to watch the rest with me. I've never been particularly interested in civil engineering, but learning the intricate hows and why's behind managing huge amounts of people moving throughout a large semi-urban space, and how it can go horribly, horribly wrong, was surprisingly engaging. The sheer amount of effort this guy put into producing it was astounding. 



So there's some mildly educational, entertaining stuff for you to watch the next time you're stuck sitting in one place for whatever reason. 


Comments