An Apron, the Library, and Electricity Usage

 



1.) I'm writing again! 

After a very long spell of barely being able to keep my head above water with writing, I've actually managed to publish two "real" pieces this week. One about the need to take a break from the ever-present doom and gloom of the world, and the other about some random thoughts I had on Christ washing the feet of the Apostles on Holy Thursday. 

That second one probably would've been more timely on Holy Week, but I gotta write when I think about things I guess. 

2.) Library

Little Girl, Bitty Baby and I have been attending story time at the library every week. The children's librarian does a few stories, a few songs, and then does a simple craft with the kids. 

It means we have a new influx of paper clutter around the house, but Little Girl really enjoys going and it's a place for her to interact with other kids. Yesterday, we ran into the same group of siblings both at story time and at the park where we stopped to eat (after three or four instances of buying off the dollar menu at Taco Bell, I finally got coordinated enough to pack a lunch) and Little Girl made firm friends with one of them.

Hopefully we'll see them again. I think it's a little hard on her having her brother in school without her. She gets a little bored and lonely; having someone to look forward to seeing every week will be good for her. 

3.) Porch Garden



The local WIC program gave us some plants, so I was able to add to our porch garden a bit. 

The dill, spinach, and peppers I planted all pretty much failed, sadly. So there were plenty of containers to plant the two jalapeno and two broccoli plants we received. 

So now I have that, a couple bean plants, the last of the basil, and a random sweet potato end that sprouted all planted and growing on the porch, plus some volunteer squash in the (very grassy) garden bed. I wish I knew how those hard-bitten, tough as nails farm wives managed to put in a garden, sew clothes, cook from scratch, and have babies back in the day. Soft little 'ol me just doesn't have what it takes, evidently. 

4.) FRILLS


Despite the fact that I can't keep up with gardening or writing, I've done or started a lot of sewing projects lately. 

One of the ones I've started, and that's intimidating as heck to me, is this extremely frilly apron thing for Little Girl. With my on-again-off-again availability for projects, I'm hoping to have it done by Christmas.  The sewing bit is going to be difficult, but I'd also like to embroider it. I'm looking forward to that; I've found that a project I can get a small amount of materials out for and just hurriedly stuff on a shelf is way nicer than one I have to get multiple messy materials out for. With kiddos in the house, anything that allows for simplicity is a bonus. 

Plus, I finally found a use for those pretty white eyelet curtains I scored at a resale shop. 

5.) Seat Covers



Chris asked me to make some simple canvas seat covers for our thrifted stadium seat chairs. The only colors of sturdy material where white, grey, tan, and black. The high school's primary color is green, so I also got to do my first dye project since I went through my tie-die phase in high school. 

They turned out well. I estimated the size by literally laying the chair down on the material and cutting around it. I ended up buying WAY more than I needed, so I guess a pair of white or green pants or a skirt (we also have leftover dye!) are in one of my progeny's future. 

6.) Windows

The weather has been in the upper 70s, which means it's FINALLY cool enough outside to turn off the AC and open windows. 

It's been GLORIOUS. We have to close up and turn the air back on for a few hours midafternoon, but there's just something really lovely and natural feeling about not having mechanical cooling in the house. 

7.) Line Drying 



Now that Bitty Baby can ride in the baby backpack (and it's not so extremely blistering hot outside), I've been managing to hang clothes on the line outside instead of using the dryer. 

I'm very happy about this. The clothes look and smell better, and it uses WAY less energy. 

Our electricity bill this next month is gonna be tiny. Maybe I'm weird, but I get a legit thrill out of that. 



See the rest of this week's takes here. 

Comments

  1. Those farm wives grew up watching their parents do all those things (putting in a garden, sewing, having babies) and started helping with the garden and sewing from a fairly early age. Necessity also helps you get really good at what you need to do in order to survive.

    (I used to live in rural areas in Minnesota and Montana.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment