Quick Takes

 


We've all come down with a cold in the past week, and I've had some other (non-serious but still annoying) health stuff going on lately. So pardon me if these are a bit strange this week, I'm still trying to get back into the groove of things. 

1.) The big article I've been working on for forever and a day finally got published. 

You can check it out here.

(Possible trigger warning: I discuss aspects of grooming for sexual abuse of adults. Nothing graphic or too disturbing (it's about what leads up to abuse, not the abuse itself) but it still might be hard to read for people who have gone through it or something similar). 

As I've mentioned elsewhere, this is really the first "journalistic" type project I've ever done (involving an interview), and I'm actually pretty happy with how it turned out. 

2.) Weird Rabbit Holes

I have a strange tendency to get intersted in a random topic and just go on a research binge about it. It doesn't have to be something that has any relevance to my life or to someone that I know, it just has to pique my interest. 

The latest rabbit hole I've been falling down has been researching people with Dissaociative Identity Disorder (formerly known as Multiple Personality Disorder). It's interesting stuff-- turns out there's a fair amount of YouTube channels run by people who have this disorder and just share their multiple personalities' thoughts and daily lives in an effort to stop making people think they're all like the main character from "Split". 

It's led to some interesting theological/philosphical questions for me-- like the real nature of the soul. So many people seem to think that personality and 'soul' are the same thing, but we know that the soul can't be divided, so this disorder has to be something only in the brain, or in the body...but what does that mean about how our souls work, and what they DO exactly? 

I guess it all comes down to the fact that we are both body AND soul, and that the body is responsible for a lot more of who we are than we first thought, including our personalities. This was something I was already exploring a bit with realizing my OCD is a physical brain thing, but it's all very interesting for me. 

I think I'm coming to the end of this particular rabbit hole though. I've always had an overactive imagination and this is starting to hedge a little to close to that for comfort for me. I blame the OCD for that. 

3.) 

I've been helping my aunt and grandmother clean out a patio area at my grandmother's house. 

I didn't make it out there this week because of my cold, but I'm glad I've been able to get out there a little more often lately. I'm still figuring out how to help around there instead of just standing awkwardly around, but I think I'm getting the hang of it. 


I know I only got three takes out, but Little Girl is a little more interested in my keyboard this week than usual, and I've got a lot to do before a family trip this weekend, so I'll sign off here. 

Hopefully, I'll have more to share next week. 


Read the rest of this week's takes here. 

Comments