Seven Quick Takes - School, Sewing, and Signs





1.) I Finally Finished It!!

The article I've been struggling to get done for the past three weeks finally got finished!! 

And I spent the time I'd normally spend doing Quick Takes editing and obsessing over details and trying to get it actually sent off, which is why these are late today. 

It's about discerning healthy boundaries between clergy and laity, and what red flags to look out for to protect yourself from possible abuse from the perspective of the laity. It's the most journalistic, research heavy project I've ever done, so I'm both excited and nervous to see how it goes over. 

It'll get published in a couple weeks, and I'll be sure to post a link here. 

2.) Sneak Peek!! (Sorta.) 

I interviewed a psychologist as a source for the article, and her input was so interesting that I got her permission to publish the interview on its own. 

You can read it here, if you're interested. Lots of good insights. 

3.) I got a real sign to replace the homemade cardboard one on the gate. 



Good thing too. With all the rain we've been having, the old one was rapidly reaching the point of disintegration. 

I continue to see more and more of these signs popping up, most in yards without any political signs (which in my area is most yards), but one or two in yards sporting Trump signs, and one or two in yards sporting Biden signs.

It seems to be something in our area that's genuinely bringing people together, and we really desperately need more of that right now. I don't know if this is just a local thing or if it's in other areas too, but I hope it spreads. 

4.) I've been messing around with the blog format (in case you couldn't tell). 

I'm trying to form a more professional image on my blog, get something of a presence on social media, and in general promote myself. 

Part of that has been attempting to tweak the appearance of my blog to make it look less rinky dink. 

That may just be part of having a blog on this platform...maybe I oughta check out WordPress? 

5.) Is it bad I already started Christmas shopping? 



I found a ridiculously neon green dance recital dress for a toddler at a resale shop today. It's frilly, and sparkley, and perfect for ballet obsessed Little Girl to play dress up in. 

She was actually out with me running errands when I got it. She absolutely fell in love with it and insisted on carrying the bag out to the car. I explained it was for Christmas present and she hasn't mentioned it since we got home...I'm hoping she forgets and gets all excited for it again Christmas morning. I guess we'll see. 

6.) So much SEWING.

So, we found that white tux with tails at the thrift store awhile back. The first day of 'real' school is this Monday, and Chris has gotten it into his head that he will be welcoming the students back to campus in style. 

I found a pattern for a vest at the thrift store (there were a whole BUNCH of patterns dated from the 1980s. I controlled myself, with some difficulty, and was able to resist buying one for a dress with a huge square collar and shoulder pads), and Chris has requested I make one out of a bolt of green fabric we have (also a thrift store find. Probably among the more random) in order to complete the look. (There's also a top hat and cane involved.)

Unfortunietely, I also need to whip out a few masks for Little Boy's first week of school too. I found some elastic in the recesses of my sewing box, and I have the material, but I still have to make the darn things. 

That's going to be my Saturday, and possibly my Sunday afternoon. Just me, a sewing machine, a lot of fiddly pins, some material, and the not so faint screams of my children fighting over a random toy in the background. 

Send wine. 

7.) We toured the elementary school today. 

We saw his classroom (desks spaced 6 feet apart, only about half of his class opted to come in-person) and the nurse's office, met his teacher, and saw the cafeteria and gym. 

They had the hallways decorated like a circus-- those paper triangle string thingies hanging from the celing, red balloons on corners everywhere, and some huge cardboard popcorn cartons full of white and yellow baloons. And they gave every kid a beautifully decorated bag (each one had an "admission ticket" attached to the outside) of circus themed candy (circus peanuts, cotton candy, cracker jacks, and animal crackers) on their way out the door. 

Little Boy was a bit overawed. He barely said anything the whole time, though he was obviously interested, especially in his classroom. 

We walked out to our car, Little Boy clutching his bag of candy, and he turns to me and says, "Momma?" 

"Yes?" 

"There were a lot of rooms that were really different from our house." 

It's a lot of new, but he says he's excited to go to school on Monday. 



Comments

  1. Holler if you need help with Wordpress. I've been using it and its predecessor (b2) for 17 years.

    (My Quick Takes are late this week as well.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really kind of you. I'm not sure if I'm ready to make the leap yet, but I might ask for help when/if I do. :)

      Delete
  2. She'll most likely remember that adorable neon green outfit and squeal with joy. So exciting for him to get to actual go to school. Prepare for him to age a couple of years in about two weeks Mama and Dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sigh...I know. He's already getting so big. He's changed a lot already just in the past couple months.

      Delete

Post a Comment