Seven Quick Takes...What Pictures are in my Phone?


Tonight, I shall let my phone be my muse and highlight reel... my muselight reel, as it were. 

I'll uh...I'll just get started here. 

1.)
I made a really big decoration for our front gate on Divine Mercy Sunday.

It was fun to throw together. I didn't have any red fabric, so the red ray is an old sheet that I got wet and smeared with tempura paint, then tossed in the dryer. (I do not necessarily recommend this, I had to wipe the inside of the dryer down later).

The kids painted the huge cardboard heart, the white ray is made up of part of an old wedding dress from the 1980s that someone gave me, and I added some Christmas ribbon for highlights.

If I do this again next year, I might add some mini LED Christmas lights, but we'll see. 


2.)

We harvested some beets from the garden a couple days ago.

I've been wanting to take this picture for months, ever since we planted the beets.

And yes, I'm aware identity theft is no joke.

3.) 


Someone needs to make an NFP meme out of this.

That's...that's it. That's the entire reason I took the picture.


4.) 

 I have this pair of jeans that are very comfortable and fit me reasonably well, but I've worn them so much that parts of them are threadbare.

So I decided to patch and mend them. Most nights for the past week or so, I've been sewing while I watch TV.

I think I'm finally getting the hang of it, after some not-so-great previous projects. I think I figured out the correct way to patch and mend a particularly bad spot and was so excited that I rattled off a quick blog post about it, so you can check that out if you're interested.

5.)

I got a gallon bag full of wild mustang grapes we picked at my Oma's several months ago out of the freezer and made a batch of jelly.

I think I overcooked it; the resulting jelly isn't very jelly-like...it's more like thick gummy grape syrup. It still tastes pretty good on muffins and pancakes, and all of the jars actually sealed (!!!), so I'm still counting it as a win.

6.) 

If you ever find yourself in the position of working with wild mustang grapes, make sure that you're wearing rubber or latex gloves.

I neglected to do so and found myself with the start of a really nasty chemical burn from the highly acidic juice. I rubbed some baking soda on my hands to stop the reaction, and some of it fell into a measuring cup with some juice in the bottom and turned the originally purple juice green.

So...I accidentally did an elementary school level science experiment while cooking. Little bit painful. Kind of fun. Cool to see, anyway.

7.) 
Cardboard boxes are magic. 

Between ordering stuff online and buying bulk produce from a local mom and pop grocery store, we have an impressive stash of boxes.

The kids claimed several of them yesterday and built...I don't think I would call it a fort, but there were a couple that they were climbing into and through, so it was definitely fort like, and they decorated several of the boxes with markers.  Kept them entertained for a couple hours after a fairly chaotic (read: fussy) afternoon, so I'm glad we didn't toss them right away.

And...that's it for this week. Hopefully I'll throw something a little more cohesive together next go round.

No promises though.

Check out the rest of this week's takes here.


Comments