My Thoughts on Bunny Rabbits


As some of you might know, my family and I live in a fairly rural area on four acres in the midst of a bunch of cotton fields. Living in a rural area with a lot full of scrub brush nearby, we often get rabbits.

Cute little cotton tail rabbits with white tails and big, liquid eyes. They're shy creatures-- they'll freeze if they see you coming, then dart under the nearest cover as soon as they think you aren't looking. Demure, graceful little things.

While they may be cute, the darn things also like to eat the garden. I remember last spring I had a beautiful pepper plant that was grown from a seed, and carefully cultivated and transferred to its own container. I kept it near the porch where I could keep an eye on it and watered it faithfully. The other seedlings all died, but this one kept growing. I was thrilled to notice one day that it was bearing a pepper.

Then one morning, I went out there and it was gone. Nibbled to a tiny stump.

Pesky Wabbits.

So again, they're cute, but they aren't great to have around when you're trying to get food on the table.

The other day, we caught one in the spring trap.

It was a little chewy, but very flavorful. We made a meal out of it, and I got several quarts of broth out of the bones.

I would have preferred the pepper plant, but I'll take what I can get.

Comments

  1. "I would have orderedpr the pepper plant, but I'll take what I can get." Lol, true homesteading life!! So happy to see you adding to this blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, lol. If it's edible, we'll try to make use of it. :P

      Delete

Post a Comment