Ode to an apron

I never thought I'd wear one.

The entire concept seems like a throwback to the 1950s housewife. The woman who wears one stays in the kitchen, yet her hair is perfectly styled and her make up perfectly applied. She ties her apron over her dress and bakes pies.

I, on the other hand, never wear makeup and my hair is usually in a bun with a small, wispy cloud of frizz surrounding my head like a cheap halo. I'm also more of a flannel shirt and jeans sort of person (I dress remarkably similarly to my husband's lesbian cousin).

Yet, dang it, the darn thing is so PRACTICAL. I do a significantly smaller amount of laundry now. It's nice to be able to put on a shirt in the morning and be able to wear the exact same shirt while you're running errands in the afternoon (I may dress butch but I prefer to at least look clean).

Wearing one enables me to clean the baby after a meal...and then keep wearing the same clothes afterwards!

So perhaps ironically, I wear an apron around the house.

Go figure.

Comments