Fortunately, Unfortunately

Fortunately, the hens have started laying. We're getting one or two eggs a day and our feed costs are beginning to be justified. 


Unfortunately, one of the said egg laying birds is none too smart and went and got herself stuck in the wall of the coop. It took climbing all the way into the coop and prying a board loose with a crowbar to get her out. 

 

Fortunately, I found a free math curriculum for Little Girl. I had planned on cobbling something together from the E.D. Hirsch book, Everything Your First Grader Should Know but having something with daily lessons laid out is going to be SO much easier. 



Unfortunately, it's only the teacher's manual and not the student workbook. This means I'm going to have to fabricate something to stand in for those exercises on the fly every day. This isn't unsurmountable, but it is kind of a pain. Still easier than having to figure out a way to teach and practice concepts by myself though. 

Fortunately, I have the first week of school all planneed out in my planner. 



Unfortunately, school hasn't started for us yet. Chris had school start at his workplace this past week, and I figured that having us both start at the same time would be utter insanity (he comes home tired that first week). This has led to some of the normal frustrations that come with existing in a holding pattern. Nothing unsurmountable, but we've had to leave the house and go to the park or library a couple times just to break a chaos cycle. 

School has started for everyone else, and the library, parks, and even the grocery store are different now. Our children's librarian did mention that she's running a homeschool science group and a homeschool social group this next month, so it looks like we'll be able to find some community soon, but in the meantime everything feels like a ghost town. 


Despite the heat (102°F), summer is over, and this week we simply waited for what's next. 

Empty and HOT. 



Comments

  1. Good luck finding exercises for the math- the internet should have some helpful stuff. I relied heavily on online enrichment for the novels I selected for my son last semester. I wish I could help- I teach math- but I only have geometry on up.
    Are all chickens that challenging? No sense of self preservation!
    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a reason the term "bird brain" is a thing.

      We're going to be doing Kahn academy for some of it too, and I have a stash of math manipulatives. I think we'll be ok, it'll just be interesting initially.

      Delete
  2. Ha. We had a coop made of pallets once, and we also had to rescue chickens from the slats. The first week of school exhaustion is no joke. Today is our first day. I pretty much count on lying down after getting everyone fed dinner and taking a twenty minute nap before starting bedtime for everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. It's just been crazy, and I don't expect that to change anytime soon.

      Delete

Post a Comment