Still Alive

 

I've been trying quilting lately. 


Hey all, 

We've been beginning school in (somewhat) earnest and I've been trying to establish a routine. The routine is going well, but life keeps throwing stuff at us I have to work around. 

Last week, Chris was gone all week on a trip so I was trying to establish our routine and run this place on my own (in true "hubby is gone" fashion, the well broke and flooded the yard the night before he left. My father in law saved the day by coming by to fix it, but it definitely kept up the pattern of some sort of minor catastrophe happening when he's out of the house for a bit). Part of managing was being out of the house as much as possible (occupied kids don't squabble nearly as much as bored ones), so I didn't have much physical or emotional energy left for writing. 

This week was back to "normal", but that routine is still falling into place ("No, honey, we don't do that on weekdays. No, it's not snack time yet. No, I'm not going to change my mind") so my energy and creativity are both in high demand at the moment elsewhere. I'm also trying to figure out my routine-- when do I do housework? Which housework should be priority? What does weekly lesson planning look like? What do I need to do to prepare daily? (That last one has been kicking my butt. We've been doing an emotional literacy program thing I bought ages ago (but never used) as "warm up" schoolwork. I'm learning the interesting way that I really need to have some sort of familiarity with the material before I try to teach it). 

Weirdly, I've been doing more handicrafts in the evenings - painting, sewing, etc. I'm guessing that it's because it uses a different part of my brain than writing and planning do, so it's using a different kind of energy. I can just shut my brain off for a bit in a way I can't do with writing. 

All this to say...I'm not giving up this space, at least not yet, but I'm not going to be routinely posting here either. At least until we get into some sort of habit with our day rather than goading along the masses like a sheepdog. Any post I do is probably going to be an unorganized jotting down like this one rather than the (slightly) more structured lists I used to do. 

Anyway, I haven't forgotten this space is here. It's just that other things are taking priority for the moment (and I promise to stop commenting on that fact in my next post).

Comments

  1. It sounds like you're finding your way! Even if you don't have a perfect routine yet, you seem to have a good grip on what you need!
    And everything always breaks when the spouse is out of town. My husband used to go out of town for 10 days in June, and that is when the washer broke at least 5 times. And the fridge stopped working another time. It also happened to him when I was gone in January and the dishwasher finally died.
    Keep the kids busy and out and then pop in a nice video or music for quiet time.
    Enjoy your crafts!.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that blue with white dots from your lovely dress you made? Clever of you to repurpose the leftovers! The quilt pattern is very cute too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! The plaid is from a shirt I wore out, and the red scraps are some from my mom's stash that she handed down when they moved. :)

      Delete
  3. Yup, sounds exhausting. Especially the week of solo parenting. My husband's absence this last time was a real doozy, but I realized now my children are actually old enough to help (mostly) when there's a disaster, and I don't have to do EVERYTHING myself. Your day will come! Good luck with everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The quilting looks beautiful so far!

    Housework can be part of school, especially at your kids ages. If they were in school, they would be sorting objects, counting things, folding paper, cutting stuff, etc. They might even do some water play if you sent them to a good preK. They might even have a pretend market set-up in a good kindergarten. Honestly, they do those things in order to replicate normal home tasks in a classroom.

    With you they can actually sort laundry and fold laundry, cut vegetables for dinner, wash dishes, sweep, bake together, count how many cans of tomatoes you have left, help write the grocery list, etc. It will make everything take 10x longer, but this is the best way to teach little kids, in my far from expert opinion. My youngest skipped preK and kindergarten thanks to the shutdown, so this plus reading aloud and coloring is really all we did. He went to in person school for first grade and did just fine.

    -Taryn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to work on getting better at this. I let them help measure when I cook, but there's definitely other skills I could be working in.

      Delete
  5. Hello! I just wanted to quickly pop in to say:
    I enjoy reading your updates. It sound pretty good already but it sure will get better. I respect homeschooling moms a lot!
    Our family life is too busy right now for my taste with a potential move across the country.
    Till quieter times!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment