Homeschooling Transitions

 



We're transitioning this week; going from summertime back into the school year, and next week will be busy for other reasons. 

I'm sorry I've neglected this space. Unfortunately it looks like my writing here will keep being uneven and sporadic until I can get us all settled into a routine. 

I've been struggling to find our footing as Chris returns to work. I didn't want to start formal schooling at the same time Chris deals with a return of students (both parents tired and adjusting to a new reality is a recipe for chaos), and I wanted to end our "school year" at the same time his ends (and keep the same holidays/days off). This means that we start formal schooling a week after Chris does. 

But in the meantime, I've got to keep some sort of routine for sanity's sake. It's also got to look at least in passing like the one that we'll be using once I break out the books, and I need to establish cleaning expectations and habits with the kids. 

Add to this that I'm trying to start weaning the toddler, and it doesn't leave my normal writing times what they used to be. 

I'm neglecting the kids to write this (we're supposed to be doing some sort of informal schooling/project right now), so I probably ought to wrap this up for now. I want to stay connected to this space and the type of writing that I do here (if I ever don't think  I can anymore, I promise to write a closing post), but it's going  to be bumpy until I can find my footing. 


Comments

  1. You'll find your rhythm eventually - be kind to yourself. You guys start so early for school! Though this year the public school is starting August 9 - about a week earlier than usual, due to some genius wanting to improve attendance by giving a week long October break. (This makes no sense - I can only assume someone was sharing edibles at the board meeting.)
    I'm sending my homeschooler back to public school, but we had a pattern forced onto us by doing it around my work. If I have to do it again, having the work schedule would keep us on task. A few days toward the end of the school year definitely got loosey-goosey as flexibility descended into borderline chaos. (But by then I was just trying to finish up a few classics and squeeze in some field trips.)
    As for weaning - my kids got cut off quickly around a 12-14 months- I was too touched out by then to keep going. My favorite was my second who weaned herself at 9 months - she had plans and wanted to be on the move!
    I hope you can find the time to keep writing!
    Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m sending you all of the prayers! Weaning, new routines, homeschooling, teaching kids to clean- that is certainly enough to keep you busy!

    On cleaning- the only way I have figured out to get my kids to consistently clean is to require chores to be completed in order to get to play video games. So if you figure something else out and you get time to post about it here, please do!

    -Taryn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck. Transitions of all kinds are tiring; this many together is exhausting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment