Rushed Quick Takes


My parents got a new dog, she just showed up at their house. Very pretty blue eyes, part husky maybe. 

Hey everyone, 

I'm working on a really big new article/post  that's taking a LOT of time to actually scrape together (I'm doing journalism type stuff for it! Interviews, research...)  but I'm also trying to be more or less consistent with posting here too. 

So...SUPER Quick Takes!! Blink and you'll miss 'em. 


1.) Shakeology DOES stuff to me. 

Bad stuff.

I was losing weight using them, but not in a way that was healthy.

Or...uh...comfortable for my digestive system. 😬

I guess I can put that particualar life experience on the bucket list. Though who would WANT to put "got the runs from a diet shake" on that list is beyond me. 

On a related note...

2.) Dieting Sucks. 

Because we're not wealthy, I'm dieting the old fashioned way...eating less. 

It's not like I'm surviving on a saltine and water for every meal, I'm actually eating a reasonable portion of real food, but I get so stinkin' hungry in between meals. 

It's like every day is Ash Wendsday, except I don't get to passively virtue signal. 

3.) Someone Stole our Debit Card 

And the only reason we figured it out is because Chris likes to check on the charges online (sort of like a millenial version of balancing a checkbook) and noticed a bunch from a laundromat. 

We never use a landromat. 

I don't know why someone went to all the trouble to steal our number and then use it a bunch of times to wash their clothes, but there you go. 

There was also an unexplained charge for $99, so we lost a pretty hefty chunk of change to this person. And I had to drag two kids to the (thankfully uncrowded...seriously, thank you for that God) bank to get new cards and do a couple phone calls. 

One of which was a complete waste of time because I failed all the security questions. The guy was really apologetic about it too. I just said, "well...thank you for keeping my money secure." I mean, I would've been concerned if he gave me access anyway. 

On the other hand, I need to ask Chris the questions and write down his answers in case I'm ever suddenly widowed or he goes into a sudden 20 year coma or something and I'm suddenly forced to take all that over. 

4.) I Really Don't Like Online Kindergarten 

I mean, on one hand I have to give Little Boy's teacher mad props for managing to keep those kids in line and engaged over a Zoom call. She actually does a pretty decent job of that. 

On the other hand, she still can't compete with Little Girl doing cool stuff with me to keep her busy while Little Boy does his school work. Little Boy gets distracted pretty easily, especially when life isn't fair because his little sister gets to do a project with stickers or play a game on the computer while he has to listen to a teacher. 

And then I'm running to help him get back on track and Little Girl suddenly starts stealing his markers, so I have to distract her, and then I just end up running back and forth all morning trying to keep things from devolving into total destructive chaos. 

Heck, we still have to deal with destructive chaos. Little Boy had a breakdown at one point trying to follow something, and then I had a mommy breakdown trying not to get frustrated at him even though he was mainly just overwhelmed, and we both had to take a time out...

All I can say is that I really hope no teacher or parent got to watch a surprise mini-drama/soap opera during school hours.

At least I know that the mic was muted. 

...I hope. 

5.) I've Been Doing Curbside Pickup at the Library 

I mean...I'm glad to have new-to-us books in the house, and the kids have taken a MUCH bigger interest in them since Little Boy has been working on his reading.

And I got a book for myself this last time, which was WONDERFUL. Since getting married, it's like I've forgotten how to just read fiction for fun-- if I'm reading, it's something practical. I got a Terry Prattchett novel (highly reccomend if you like satire or social commentary), and it's been nice just to lose myself in a story again. It's been a long time. 

On the other hand...I miss the library. I miss looking around and discovering books on the shelf, I miss bringing the kids to the occasional storytime, and I even miss chatting with the librarians while they checked out my books (they tend to be pretty interesting people). 


Gotta end it here this week folks. Sorry for the lack of pictures; I just don't have the time this week. Hopefully next week I'll have that new piece done and I'll be able to have a bit more fun with this one. 


See the rest of this week's takes here

Comments

  1. I'd put money on your stomach thinking the diet shake wasn't food... because that's what mine does with stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fancy-shmancy one with a bunch of fancy herbs and "super food" stuff in it, so that might very well be the case (my MIL had a stash she wasn't using anymore and passed them to us). I had trouble eating them too, they didnt taste very good.

      Delete

Post a Comment