Seven Quick Takes-- Secondhand Oddities and Abberations

I looked through my phone, and I noticed I take a lot of pictures of random stuff. 

Not events, my kids, or interesting moments. Actual stuff.

Clutter. 

Knick- Knacks. 

Junk. 

That's a good enough reason to write a post, right? 


1.) Glass Eyeballs 


Chris and I went antiquing a couple weeks ago, something I've always wanted to do but never had the chance to (pretty much my entire life I've been either without my own car (something I actually really regretted in college) or surrounded by toddlers). 

Apparently Civil War era glass eyeballs are collectable? It's interesting that they're not actual balls, but more these concave things like hugely oversized, surprisingly realistic contact lenses. 

Who knew? 

2.) LAW AND ORDER (!!) 


Came across this at the thrift store the other day. 

Found it way more amusing than I probably should have. 

3.) I deeply regret not buying this pantsuit 



I have no idea when I ever would have worn it, but isn't it just fabulous? 

Circa 1980s, I think. I'm not entirely sure though. 

It was labled "100% Silk", so it was high dollar, high fashion in its time. Someone actually paid a large amount of money for it and wore it with a straight face. 

4.) My Favorite Mug 


"We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents"

My parents bought this for me as an NFP joke. We haven't actually had any "happy accidents"...

Yet. 

I've been married less than ten years, give it time.


5.) Random Old Salon Hair Dryer 


I've never seen one of these at a thrift store before, and I'm trying to imagine who would buy it. 

Isn't this what they used to use at old-timy salons in the 1960s where woman would put their hair in curlers and sit underneath it? 

Or was that the 1980s? 

Still technically old-timy for me, I was born in the early 90s. 

I'm trying to imagine who would buy this and what they would use it for. I can't imagine it storing well on a bathroom counter. 

6.) A Bag of Pumpkin Puree from 1999



We cleaned this out of my grandmother's freezer a couple months ago. 

The only motivation I can think of for her to keep it for twenty years is that was the month and year my uncle unexpectedly passed away. 

Frozen pumpkin seems an odd momento to keep, but I suppose it's difficult to let go of anything that reminds you of someone close that you've lost. 

7.) Random Book 




I think I wanted to buy this book at one point, and that's why I took the picture? 

The picture on the cover is interesting. What exactly is going on there? Is the apple falling and the painting meant to capture one particular moment in time? 

Or was it painted by a woman who thought the gentleman in the bowler hat looked...tasty? I mean, I don't go for apparently bald men in high collars, but if that's your jam... 



Mysteries abound, I'm telling you. 


The rest of this week's takes here. 

Comments

  1. The picture of the man with the apple face is a famous one by Rene Magritte, a French Impressionist artist. (I could have told you more 20 years ago when we were studying this in my French 5/6 class.)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment