My Body, My Choice






The most popular pro-choice argument, the one that the marches, the activism, and the angst is built upon, is the appeal to women's bodily autonomy. 

The argument usually goes something like this--

''When it comes to abortion, bodily autonomy is the ultimate right. No one has any business telling me what I can and can't do with my body, and I have perfect sovereignty over it...period. I ought to be able to do what I want to do with my body whenever I want to do it, and no one has the right to judge me for it. My body, my choice. You have no right to impose your morality on me.''

Let's take this argument and apply it to another situation involving an issue of bodily autonomy. 

 "If I want to manage my anxiety and stress by cutting a neat row of slits up the side of my hip with a razor, that's my business. No one has the right to judge me for doing it. If I just don't want to live anymore, if I can't stand my anxiety anymore, no one has the right to stop me from killing myself. It doesn't concern them, and they have no right to judge me for it. My body, my choice. You have no right to impose your morality on me."

I've never known anyone to make the case that this second argument is of a clear, unclouded mind that shouldn't be argued with or refuted (the exception is in cases of terminal illness, but that gets into another conversation). 

Ever notice that no one judges those who commit suicide? Those who commit suicide are usually seen as being trapped in horrible circumstances (either external or internal with anxiety/depression). Those who attempt it, or who are considering it, are offered help and resources. If they're in a bad family or partner situation, those who care for them try to get them out of it. It's not like this in every case of course, but it's the standard aspired to by most of society.

Imagine if the same were said for women seeking abortions? What if instead of 'her body, her choice' (and by implication, her problem), the societal standard was to offer her resources, and get her help and support? Not to offer snide judgement, it just drives people deeper into despair, but to offer real, concrete help?

They say again and again that abortion is a heart wrenching decision, one that isn't made easily. That no one can pass judgement on those who enter because the circumstances that drive them there are so bad. What puzzles me is that it seems only the people on the pro-life side of the fence are bothering to offer these women resources to enable them not to have to have an abortion (one could argue that many pro-choice people do a lot of social justice work for the poor and disadvantaged, and are trying to help enable women to have a true choice that way. Those people have a point, but I'm referencing working to offer resources specific to pregnant women or struggling mothers). 

But none of that will happen without 'imposing our morality'. Without saying "this choice is bad, and we can find you a better option".  

Bodily autonomy for bodily autonomy's sake is a bad benchmark. Those on the pro-choice side need to find a better one. 

Comments