Sewing, and a day off

1.)  I've been on a bit of a sewing kick lately. 

The primary project has been a dress sewn from a pattern printed in 1959. I bought it from a vintage seller  who specializes in sewing and embroidery stuff. 

I've spent at least $60 on the thing between the pattern, fabric, and buttons. Making your own clothes is not the cheaper option it once was, especially if you buy new material (I was going to use a thrift store sheet, but I couldn't find one big enough in a color that wouldn't make me look like I have jaundice. Darn olive complexion limits my choices a bit).



It's challenging. Probably the worst moment was when I was trimming the seams with pinking shears and chopped a hole right in a super visible place. But something that actually looks like a dress is gradually emerging. 

I'm also putting together a vest for Little Boy from a very obnoxious horse print. I'm trying to do it sans professional pattern-- we'll see if I manage to pull it off. 



2.) A New Chair 

The very used chair that Chris scored off of Facebook marketplace for $5 five years ago has finally been replaced. 

A friend was getting rid of a gliding rocking chair, and we bought it from them. It doesn't have padded arms or a footrest like our old (very used) recliner, but it has a padded seat, can turn 360 degrees, and is in much better shape. 


Bitty Baby loves sitting in it and looking at a book, so the cuteness factor has been up around here pretty considerably too. 

3.) Chris took a day off 

I'm really thankful my husband has a good boss who lets her employees take sanity days.  

His job has been a little (lot) crazy lately. Lots of kids these days seem to think that bringing a THC pen to school is a good idea. 

It's not. No matter what some of their parents may think. 

So Chris decided to take a day off just to get a mental break. We ended up using it as an errand day; we got some groceries bought, the oil changed in the van, and ate lunch at Sam's Club (cheap, reasonably decent pizza). 

We had the girls with us (Little Boy still had school), but it was still really nice to spend time together with my husband that wasn't in a time crunch. We were able to take our time doing errands in a way that we usually aren't, and it was just...nice. I enjoyed it, and I hope we can do it again. 

4.) I wrote something for the Substack 

You can see it here, if you're so inclined.

 It's decidedly more cheerful than the last thing I wrote over there. 

5.) Misadventures in Adoration

Note to the older retired ladies and gentlemen who sign up for the parish adoration timeslots: please don't assume that the lady bringing in a toddler and a five year old will be able to stay very long.

Thursday is my "running around" day, and I usually try to stop by the local parish that has all day adoration on that day. We never stay long- usually less than five minutes (I've learned not to press my luck).  Yesterday I stopped by with the girls and sat down as I usually do...and the one other person in there stood up to leave! 

The thing about Eucharistic adoration is that the exposed Sacrament can never be left alone. If Jesus is in the monstrance, somebody has to be with Him.  I had no idea when, or if, the next person would show up and the girls hadn't had lunch yet. 

I quickly scrambled after him, "excuse me sir, I can't stay very long." 

He looked a little startled, "you can't?" 

"No sir. Not with two babies." 

"Oh. It's just that the 11am person never showed up...(it was 11:45 at this point)." 

I apologized that I couldn't stick around, and (God Bless him) he sat back down in the chapel. I felt bad, but I couldn't ask the girls to sit still and quiet for an unspecified chunk of time, especially with empty stomachs. 

Someone else was walking in as we were leaving, so hopefully the gentleman got some relief soon after.


6.) Attack of the Sunflower Sprouts 


A couple lonely turnip sprouts in a sea of wild sunflower sprouts. 

The veggie seeds are sprouting and happy, which is exciting (and surprising, considering the colder weather we've been having), but the weed seeds and grass are sprouting and happy too. 

The moral of the story? Cut wild sunflowers down BEFORE they go to seed. 

7.) Coat

Always keep an eye out at the thrift store. 

I went by there this week and found a wool coat for $10. It was too big (rather significantly), but I've been wanting a long wool coat for awhile and I thought it was worth the gamble. 


It's missing a button or two, but the fabric is in good shape. 

Out of curiosity, I looked up the brand and what it was going for on eBay. It seemed pretty well made, and I wondered where it came from. 

The only one like it I found on eBay was going for $350 (!?). 

For a savings of $340, I think it was worth it. A cheaper coat would have been worth it too, but it's always fun when you get something for a little that someone else originally spent a lot on. 

Comments

  1. You have such an eye for fashion - that material for the dress is classic! The cut looks very good - it'll be beautiful when done. The coat is elegant and stylish. What a deal!
    Meanwhile, I'm panicking about mending some quilts before guests come in March. I've got to just do it and stop looking at online sales for new quilts.
    Good luck with your garden and your sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have a string of pearls that my mom gave me that I was hoping to wear it with. The little white polka dots seemed a perfect match for that.

      Delete
  2. I love the dress! And I love the horse print for the vest. If you have enough, I would make a matching bow tie for his dad.

    I read the substack article as well. Thanks for sharing it! It really made me think. Is it ok if I comment about it here? I just have a question. If not, please feel free to not publish this.

    I’m a Protestant, so this is probably the source of my confusion. But how can a priest offer suffering in reparation for another’s sin? Wasn’t Jesus’s sacrifice sufficient? He promises us trials and tribulations in this world, but also tells us that he has overcome the world. And then he says, “It is finished.” He sits down next to the Father bc the work is complete.

    So I must be missing something? Since I’m not Catholic, I might just be missing the relevant vocabulary. Or maybe this is just a fundamental difference in theology?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Taryn. :)

      I'm glad you feel comfortable enough to ask the question! Yes, it's fine.

      I've actually tried to study the differences between mainline Evangelical thought on suffering and Catholic teaching on it, and as far as I can tell, it is a genuine difference in the way we see it and not just a difference in semantics.

      Catholics believe that Christ's sacrifice on the cross for our sins is indeed sufficient, but He allows us to offer up suffering as a prayer that earns grace to help others. (Which...grace is also different between Catholics and Protestants. It's not something that covers up our sins, it's something that changes us, incrementally, into what God means for us to be. We don't earn salvation, but we have to consistently cooperate with it). When we offer that prayer, we unite our suffering with Christ's sacrifice on the cross, and it helps us become more like Him. It's not that we're saying it wasn't enough, it's that God looks at our suffering and says, "I can give this meaning. I can make this an act of love like mine, and I can help your brothers and sisters and make you more like me in the process." Our suffering means absolutely nothing without the cross, but with the cross it becomes something that brings us and others closer to Him.

      St. Paul mentions rejoicing in his suffering and offering it up for the Church , "making up for what was lacking in the cross of Christ"(Colossians 1:24). There might be other verses supporting that teaching, but that's the one coming to mind for me. I could also look up the Catechism of the Catholic Church paragraphs on it if you're interested in a more professional explanation, but I feel like that might go a little beyond what you were asking for, lol.

      Hope that helps.

      Delete
    2. All that said...

      I do believe our two theological systems have more in common than are different. I consider you a sister in Christ, and I'm very glad you're here. ❤️

      Delete
    3. What a beautiful answer! So rich in things to ponder. This particular matter has never bothered me but im glad to have your explanation to round out my thoughts on "offering it up". And i did love your article on fr holloway. I am an optimist and i trust in Jesus and i think that He will and is redeeming our mess.

      Delete
    4. I think so too. It's an interesting journey getting there though.

      Delete
  3. Sorry, I am the above Anonymous and I meant to sign the above comment- Taryn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for this explanation! I agree that our belief systems have more in common than not and I also consider you a sister in Christ. I very much long for the church to be reunited as one.

    I’m really enjoying your blog, I like the mix of deep thinking and everyday life. I hope that you keep writing.

    I was taught that we should consider suffering joy bc suffering builds perseverance and perseverance, character, and character, hope. And it all brings glory to God bc this is the chief end of man- to glorify God and enjoy him forever. We might never see in this world what the effect of this is, just like Jochebed never saw Moses return to free Israel.

    This is an interesting thought, that our suffering United with Christ’s, could somehow work some kind of good in the world today. I am thinking on that.

    Regarding grace, we are taught salvation is instant, but that we become more sanctified through the work of the Holy Spirit as we continue in our Christian walk. This is something that we cooperate with through the surrender of our will to his, and through reading and meditating on his word.

    Have a beautiful day,
    Taryn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to explain how you understand it. :) It's hard to find someone to explain it to me without it turning into an argument or stepping on some toes.

      It sounds like we're very similar in practice, even if it's not quite the same in theology. That gives me a lot of hope.
      ❤️

      Delete

Post a Comment