Quick Moments

Just a few snapshots...


Kinda hard to see, but my older two on the swing set in the back. They're actually playing outside willingly a lot more lately. "Can I eat this candy outside mom?"

"YES." 



An ofrenda at my son's elementary school "Trunk or Treat". Very crowded again this year like it was last year -- I think the fact that we're in a rural area means this is the best trick or treating opportunity for most students. They had mini shoebox ofrendas made by students (and given the complexity of some of them, maybe staff or parents) in a quiet corner away from the tables handing out candy and selling food.  This one was possibly the saddest, given that it was for a baby, but also the most intricate. All the little food offerings are real, carefully cut from real food and wrapped in plastic. 


Dress I made for Little Girl with 50 year old polyester fabric and a 30 year old dress pattern. Fits a little big, so I added the tie, but should last her awhile and be good for winter. 


It's not even Halloween yet, and this is how much candy we've gotten from Little Boy's school between Trunk or Treat and what he brought home today. Insane. 



This year's Jack o Lantern. 




The cloth diaper I spent a chunk of my Friday night on. 

I might have a mending problem. 


And that's life around here. Hopefully I'll turn out something more coherent soon. 

Comments

  1. Your daughter's dress is beautiful and I love the thriftyness. Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You like mending? That's a gift. I'm the kind of person for whom the adage" a stitch in times saves nine" was created. I hate mending and always put it off until too late. I just bought a 2nd hand winter coat to replace my old one as I don't want to repair it(i wore it for a year after one seam started to come undone. I'm that resistant to sewing).. However, I will stitch it up for a coat drive.
    I love the fact that your trunk or treat has ofrendas. That's a cool blending of cultures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a neat blending too. I'm really enjoying the fact that we can celebrate All Souls' Day at my son's public school -- the explicitly religious stuff is left out, but it's not hard to add back in with my own kids.

      Delete
  3. I had never heard of ofrendas before. I'm often surprised by the differences in the New Mexico Spanish culture when compared to the more Mexican Hispanic culture of places like Arizona and Texas. Many of the things I was familiar with living in Arizona aren't really a thing here, which includes Dia de los Muertos. The Spanish here are very careful to explain that they are Spanish, not Mexican, and it is actually noticeable in the culture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Norteno/Tejano Mexican culture is what's in our area, and there's a LOT of ebb and flow. It's not at all uncommon for people to have cousins they visit regularly on one side or the other of the border. You hear a lot of Spanglish spoken just about everywhere.

      Delete

Post a Comment