Three Not-So-Quick Takes

Sorry guys, I just don't have seven in me this week. 



1.) Mass Readings


The good book
Image Credit: Creative Commons


This past weekend was our anniversary. 

We got married on a Saturday and made our wedding mass a vigil mass. What that meant was we used the regular mass readings instead of choosing our own. 

Every three years, we get to hear our wedding readings on the weekend nearest our anniversary, and this year, they landed on our actual anniversary. 

So that was pretty cool. 


2.) Homeschooling on the Cheap


Instead of buying math manipulatives, I saved a ton of beer caps and photocopied them to make preschool activity sheets for Little Girl.  


Because we can't really go anywhere, I've started doing school work with the kids. 

I've had surprisingly good luck with finding gently used curriculum materials in the book section at the local Goodwill. I scored a Kindergarten level math workbook set (looks like it was part of the local public school curriculum) for about $4 awhile back, and I found the complete set, all five 'levels' of the 2001 edition of Hooked on Phonics curriculum for $18. I'm actually pretty excited about that. Little Boy seems to enjoy the lessons, and apparently it's an insanely expensive curriculum new. 

Granted, the advancement chart in the first level box had stickers already stuck on it, we can't use the CD Rom game it came with because it's designed to be compatible with Windows 98, and we had to order a cassette tape player to be able to use the audio components, but my son can read way more than he could this time last week. He's already reading some simple picture books, and it's really exciting to watch him grow like this.

I recently found out the public school we've enrolled him in isn't meeting in person until at least mid September (yay Covid...), so we'll get to do this for awhile. I'm not sure how online 'school' will mesh with what we're already doing, but hopefully his teacher will be able to work with me on that. We'll see. 

I really don't know how all this will work yet. 

3.) Fighting the Crud

The kids came down with fevers and slept all day for three days. 

They got over it for the most part yesterday, and now I'm trying to get over it. Part of having feverish kids is they randomly wake up in considerable discomfort and pain once or twice a night and watch TV all day when they're not sleeping. I'm slightly loopy from sleep deprivation and trying to wean the kids off of screens (while dealing with an increased temptations to look at my phone because I'm stressed, thus rendering me a hypocrite...please tell me I'm not the only one who deals with that) and get them back on schedule. 

It's almost like coming back from a week long trip. Everything is just cattywampus for awhile. 


Comments